Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Homemade Marshmallow Fondant






So, with all the cakes Emily and I have done over the last couple of months, we have yet to play with any kind of fondant to decorate cakes with. So, I decided that I would play around with marshmallow fondant when I hunkered down and baked sugar cookies this Christmas. I decided to use marshmallow fondant because I’ve heard that it was infinitely easier to make and to work with. I came to a couple of conclusions. 1) Melted marshmallows are EXTREMELY sticky and 2) Marshmallow fondant tastes soooo much better than the processed rubbery taste of regular fondant. Hopefully, you guys will have as much fun with this as I did.




Ingredients:Makes about 2.5 lbs.

1/4 cup butter
1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided
food coloring (optional)


Preparation:


1.Place the butter in a shallow bowl, and set aside.








2. Place the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on High for 30 seconds to 1 minute to start melting the marshmallows. Carefully stir the water and vanilla extract into the hot marshmallows, and stir until the mixture is smooth. Now, if you want to color your fondant this would be the time. I learned this the hard way and ended up kneading it into my fondant. It wouldn’t have been so bad only the fondant gets sticky again if it comes in contact with any kind of liquid.










3. Slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar, a cup at a time, until you have sticky dough. Reserve 1 cup of powdered sugar for kneading. The dough will be very stiff.

4. Rub your hands thoroughly with butter. And I mean a LOT of butter. The more butter you have on your hands the better. It will make working with the sticky marshmallows a lot easier. Begin kneading the sticky dough. As you knead, the dough will become workable and pliable. Turn the dough out onto a working surface dusted with confectioners' sugar and continue kneading until the fondant is smooth and no longer sticky to the touch, 5 to 10 minutes.








5. Form the fondant into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. To use, allow the fondant to come to room temperature, and roll it out onto a flat surface dusted with confectioners' sugar.


Now, what you do with it from this point is all on you. Honestly, cookie cutters are the easiest way to get shapes you like. These are the cute little snowman cookies I made using them. I had to cut out the scarf by hand, but I don’t think I did too bad a job.




Whatever works best for you, just go with it. Be creative. GO CRAZY!! I won’t judge.





1 comment:

  1. Yum!! Looks delish! I haven't used fondant much really. I am not that good. But glad you can use my cookie recipe. Hope it turns out great! bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Happy Crafting!

Megan@ Whimsically Homemade